Ever wondered why quality lingerie is so expensive. Even as you hold a piece of lingerie in your hand and you know it has been so lovingly crafted it makes you swoon. Here are 9 things you should know about bra making.
1. The bra is the most technical and complicated piece of clothing that has ever existed.
2. Depending on the quality, a bra can comprise of up to 45 separate parts. A cheaper bra may not have as many. None of these additional parts are superfluous and have functions of their own. Check out the bra anatomy here.
3. It takes almost half an hour to stitch a bra, and as a lot of detailing goes into a high-quality bra it might take much more time.
4. Exquisite lingerie has exquisite lace, silk, and other applique works done, and a lot of thought goes into picking the right fabric. The fabric used in lingerie is always the matter of most concern as it is directly in contact with the skin and worn for long hours.
5. If the quality of lingerie is high, it is pricey, because to this day good lingerie is not completely machine made. Lot of work is done with the hand.
6. Bra with underwire is a tricky thing. The iron wire is usually placed in a protective coating and inserted into the sleeve so as not to irritate or prick your skin. The quality of the wire and the coating also varies depending on the quality of the bra. The underwire is crucial to support provided by the bra, so also the shape. Read about underwire here.
7. Power mesh is often added to bras to improve the support and snugness.
8. Patterns are often handmade, especially if they are custom made.
9. Prototypes of high-quality bras are tried on a number of real women and not models or mannequins. Not just the size but body types are also taken into consideration while testing the prototypes.
Dedicated lingerie designers are artists and not businessmen and some lingerie you will agree is pure art.